Tuesday 13 September 2011

Inspiration - Man Ray


Man Ray is an American artist and has worked with a wide range of media, including film. he contributed to the Surrealist and Dada movements. In 1999, 'ARTnews' magazine named him one of the 25 most influential artists of the 20th - It is clear that Man Ray is truly a defining artist, thus he inspires me.

L'Etoile de Mer (1928 Man Ray)



If find L'Etoile de Mer to be very enigmatic; it's simplicity coupled with film technique creates it's audience to be silent and intrigued. I did not want to any reaserch about this short film before watching it so I could gather my own intial opinion, and gain my personal responce. I found it to be highly metaphorical, and the film is in fact the representation of a couple, or/and a love triangle.

I was also interested in the way Man Ray shot his film as it had a very blurred effect, I then found out that almost all scenes are shot either off a mirror like the final shot, or through diffused and textured glass. This is something I would like to explore with my own work. Although it is not high tech, it still creates this mystical lure.

The most defining moment in the film is the ending: The female appears in a mirror with the word 'belle', which shatters. This is symbolic that the love affair is over. I think it is highly important to have a defining ending scene as it is opening scene; this is again something I will aim to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment